Monday, March 07, 2005

Keep an eye on it

According to this email, oil demand is exceeding OPEC supplies. They seemed quite excited about it.

Dave writes: On the other hand, I felt like a total zombie yesterday, and today I have yet to make it out of bed (it's 1pm now). I think my cold was donated To update y'all on my Sickness Status, at least partly because nobody's been posting anything (HEY EVERYBODY WHERE ARE YOU), here's how things went for me: Thursday: A slightly sore throat. Friday: Sore throat, coughing, feeling generally run-down. So of course I stayed out until 1:30am after some good energetic runs around downtown Shinjuku chasing after buses. Saturday: Did not get out of bed. Sunday: Did not get out of bed...until about 1:30pm, when I hauled my laundry to the laundromat, then went back to bed. Then I was roused again to help my new neighbor (Hi Drew!) move in. Back to the laundromat to toss my clothes in the dryer, more moving, back to the laundromat again to take my clothes out of the dryer, more moving, then dinner. And then, bed. Monday: Did not OVERLY feel like getting up, but decided that I should at least show willing. Trudged into work, watched amazing package utilities which did such a thorough job that they eradicated /etc, decided partway through the OS reinstall that maybe I should have followed my first instinct and stayed in bed. Tuesday: Woke up, fell out of bed, dragged a comb across my head. Managed to actually be sufficiently together to remember that I had a job interview today, and remembered to put on a suit. Forgot to polish my shoes though, oops. The young lady, on the other hand, had a different technique for Battling Disease. For her it was: Tuesday: Start coughing. Ouch, that hurts. Isn't it not supposed to hurt? Wednesday, Thursday: Still coughing. I'll just tough it out. Friday: Still coughing. It's really bad. I know, I'll spend the weekend in Kyoto! How about starting by catching the overnight bus (see "running around Shinjuku" above). Saturday, Sunday: Major tourism. This does wonders for a sick person, no doubt. Very invigorating. Sunday night: Bus from Kyoto back to Tokyo! Leaves Kyoto at 11:30 Sunday night, gets to Tokyo at 6:30 in the morning! Whee! Just the perfect place to convalesce. Monday: Trudge into work. Talk to people really slowly. Barely muster up energy to type. Leave work at noon, disappear somewhere after complaining about "having difficulty breathing" (thus scaring the crap out of me). Also having difficulty being coherent. Tuesday: Finally getting the idea: didn't get out of bed. In her words: "shakes, no chills. v. odd. no appetite, couldn't eat lunch". (Note that she normally writes pretty well the same way that I do, in complete sentences and with capital letters. The all-lowercase and sentence fragments were quite alarming.) So, you all will be absolutely amazed to learn that if you're sick, it's better to go to bed and stay there early than to, for example, decide to go visit the other side of the country, sightseeing. Unfortunately, owing to the "disappear after Having Difficulty Breathing" incident, I went straight from being too sick to think straight to being too worried to think straight. Which happened to be the state of mind I was in when I went into the job interview. Oh well! At least I have a *current* job! --Dave

If I can have it, so can you! Apparently, they've got all the answers.