Thursday, April 14, 2005

Company hit two gas wells in Alaska. News after the close

What? Why? Do I look like I want to know about stocks and shares in a strange, blurry .gif format? Well, I don't know actually, what would that look like? ...No! Not me!

Well, I'm finally planning the First Campout. Me, my daughter, another single-mom friend and her daughter. Neither of us adults has a whole lot of experience at this; I'm just now negotiating to buy a nice big canvas tent secondhand. I do remember figuring out how to put one together a couple of times, oh, about 20 years ago :-). But I've never really camped by myself, that is planned it all, and never with kids. This will be in October, when Austin-area weather is finally cooled off, and will be in a nearby state park, which does have water facilities. I'm not sure and will be looking to find out what kind of bathroom facilities if any. I know this has been discussed but I don't seem to have saved any files about it. I'm looking for advice: what to take, what to cook (my friend is vegetarian and just now swore off cheese and chocolate -- ACK!) or maybe just bring food and not plan to cook. Surely atleast eggs/potatoes in the morning. What will I not think of? Like, I know to bring sunblock and mosquito repellant, and an air mattress for my old creaky body :-), sleeping bags, pillows, um. What else? What are some good things to plan to do? Nature hike, yeah, and singalongs around a campfire. Oh yeah, bring matches :-)! any other suggestions?? We took Shana camping for the first time a couple months ago (she was just over a year). I'd think it's a lot easier with an older kid.... If you are going car camping, you can bring a big ol' cooler stuffed full of frozen juice boxes or bottles of water, all of which can serve both to keep other stuff cool and as drinks. Folding chairs are a nice luxury. Paper towels. Duct tape. Firewood. Marshmallows, coathangers to toast them on, graham crackers and Hershey bars for s'mores. toilet paper. We have a coleman lantern which is wonderful in the evening for lighting up board games (scrabble when it's just adults, pictionary otherwise). This requires special fuel and a bit of expertise to keep running, so if you get one, practice at home first. Bring sport bottles to use as canteens when you go on hikes, and make sure everyone has sunhats. Oh, and a swiss army knife is a nice thing to have around even when you're back in the city. I use mine at least once a day here in the wilds of Pasadena ;-)

Is this yours? I couldn't find it on Google, so sod knows how it got into my emails...